Last Friday was 4th of July - a celebration of America's independence, or as some call it, "America's birthday". We decided to celebrate by baking muffins -- birthday muffins for America! Well, that and we found these nifty, semi-patriotic muffin cups that we wanted to give a try.
We figured since everyone was already BBQing until their hearts' content, we'd try going the "healthy" route. We found a great recipe for Oatmeal Peanut Butter Muffins on AllRecipe.com. Oatmeal! Peanut butter! Sounded perfectly healthy. And then added chocolate chips and peanuts, which sounded perfectly heavenly. The end result? Something kind of like an energy muffin. A little bit healthy tasting with some sweetness that will keep you going for BBQs to come. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Birthday Muffins for America
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 peanut butter (We think you could double this and it would make it even nummier!)
- 1 egg
Topping Ingredients (optional):
- Chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large boat.
- In a separate bowl, beat milk, peanut butter, and eggs.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing until the batter is well blended. (The batter will be thin, but don't be concerned!)
- Spoon the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups.
- If you made the optional topping, now is the time to top your muffin cups. Nothing fancy from us; just throw them on top!
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Wait until cool and then consume!